Wednesday, November 14, 2012

"Addicted to the Written Word"




So I’ve decided to write a blog about books.  I know what you’re probably thinking:  “Big deal!  There are literally hundreds of people out there doing the exact same thing.”  Well, you’re right.  However, nobody “out there” shares my exact point of view or style of writing and so I hope to touch some of you and keep your interest as I explore my passion for books.

I don’t want this to be just a book review site, but hopefully a rather new perspective on the books I like.  That being said- please don’t message me about what you think I should read.  For some reason, as soon as I admit to being an avid reader whoever I am talking to seems to think I will read anything they suggest or give to me.  As my sister-in-law (the only person I know who out-reads me) can tell you, I have a tendency to shy away from books that are suggested or touted as great.  That doesn’t mean that I won’t occasionally ask people for book ideas or favorite authors.  I just love the thrill of finding something new on my own. 

BTW- this tendency would be responsible for the fact that I have not yet read the Hunger Games, and for this reason, it took me about 5 years to get around to reading Twilight for the first time.
Despite the thrill of a new story, I tend to go back to old favorites quite often.  So if I re-read a book and find something new in it, I will probably blog about it again.  That being said, some of my recent favorites have been books so unknown that they technically aren’t even published, except on Kindle. (If you do deign to follow this blog you will no doubt learn of my love affair with Kindle.  It is my all-time, must carry with me, and item of choice… I mean who knows when you might get a few minutes which would otherwise be wasted in the kids’ school car line, or bank drive-through?  Hmm… that may turn into its own post altogether.)

At this point, you may be wondering what sort of books I will be writing about.  Well, I can promise that it will almost always be about fiction.  I do love a good story.  Beyond that, I really would be hard-pressed to come up with a favorite genre of writing.  I happen to love Harry Potter, Twilight, Pride and Prejudice, Anne of Green Gables as well as almost anything by Elizabeth George, or Sue Grafton.  I list these just to give you a small glimpse of how varied my tastes are.  You may note that these include fantasy, paranormal, classical, or modern murder mystery. 

If you love books as much as I do, I hope you will join me in my ramblings and comment often… whether you agree or disagree with my opinions.  I always welcome disagreements, however, I ask that they be respectfully stated and reserve the right to delete them if I find them in poor taste (ie. mean-spirited or having foul language).  

Oh, and BTW.  I will always assume that you are already familiar with the books in question, so expect spoilers on occasion.  

..... The title for this post is a quote from the movie "Ever After" and the picture is what I would want to do with my fireplace if I didn't happen to love curling up in front of it with a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment