Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Terrible Writing - Good Plot

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Wolves-Grey-Book-ebook/dp/B005983WCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419277253&sr=1-1&keywords=prince+of+wolves

This book is so hard to categorize.  I mean, yes, it goes under werewolves, but as far as good, bad, or meh…. That’s a whole other issue.  The writing was TERRIBLE!  If it hadn’t been free… AND I hadn’t been in a hurry to find something to read while sitting in a hospital waiting room there is NO way, after reading the sample, I would have clicked “buy.”    

Number one problem:  please stay in one tense!  As the writer of a blog about books, there is a fine line on how I should discuss books.  For example… Yesterday I read this book (past… can’t write if I haven’t already read it) and it is good (present… if you pick it up this instant it will still be the same) you should read it as soon as possible (future… you haven’t read it yet, but you should).  HOWEVER, in the story itself, there should be only ONE tense!  Either the story has happened or it is presently happening… I guess it could be future, but who really prophesies a story?  That would just get weird.  However, you can’t switch back and forth, especially in one paragraph!   As you probably have guessed Loftis does this over and over… UGH!   In fact, there was more than one time where it went from past to future, to present in 3 consecutive sentences!  

Next problem:  Loftis doesn’t know how to properly formulate paragraphs—specifically dialogue. 

Correct Example: 
“Can you come over?” said Helen.

“Sure.  I’ll be right there,” Rachel replied.  With that, she grabbed her bag and headed out the door.

Incorrect example:
“Can you come over?” said Helen.  “Sure.  I’ll be right there.” Rachel replied.  With that she grabbed her bag and headed out the door.

The second was how every 2nd or 3rd paragraph went.  She couldn’t even consistently get it wrong!

SO…. Why did I read it?  As I said I was in the waiting room of a hospital, which didn’t really leave me much chance of getting something else.  And to be honest the plot was really good.  Very similar ideas to the werewolf side of Twilight which I never felt was explored well enough.  It reminded me a little bit of the Significance series which I reviewed {HERE} and loved.  I guess that’s what kept my attention despite the poor writing and editing.

I actually read the whole thing in one day, which says a lot considering how little free time I have these days.  It obviously kept my attention to the point of continuing on even once I got home.

And now to the crazy part… I even bought the sequel (which was a couple of dollars), but immediately regretted it and returned it.  Even crazier… after I returned it I found myself asking: “But what happens next?”  I just need to get over it and move on to something well written!

No comments:

Post a Comment